Friday, May 6, 2016

High Energy

This week the 3rd and 4th graders started on what is arguably my favorite part of every project - week 1.  I love working with them to plan new projects for so many reasons!

-They are so excited to try something new.
-They get to set their own learning goals, timeline, and outcomes (they LOVE having that much choice!)
-Their ideas are so creative!  It amazes me to see what kinds of things they come up with.  Every time something surprises me!
-They dream big!!  No one can convince that 4th grader that he can't make a hologram projector.  The girl who is just learning how to use the sewing machine has visions of Project Runway in her mind.

Every time we do this, I am reminded how important it is to give them freedom and choice in their work.  No, it's not reasonable to give them control over every part of their school day, but to have the Maker Mindset take hold, students have to be able to pursue their interests and their curiosities.  There are too many times that kids are told exactly what to do, how to create it, what it should look like, what the necessary components are and what materials they should use.  They learn so much by being able to choose these things themselves.  Many times they abandon a first plan, having realized that some part of it won't work well. . . that in and of itself is learning - evaluating, comparing, problem solving.  I provide them with guidelines, sometimes a specific challenge (a vehicle that has wheels and an axle, for example), and the rest is up to them.  I don't want them to all look alike.  I don't want them to make something to meet my expectations, and I don't want to assume everyone has the same ideas, interests, or curiosities.

Today I'm sitting at a conference in Illinois of technology teachers, integrators, and leaders.  Many of them have never heard of makerspaces or know little about them.  It is so fun to watch them play with some of our kits and equipment, and as soon as I start talking about what we do in our makerspace, they all say something along the lines of that being what they wish they'd had in school when they were kids.  Our students have no idea how fortunate they are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bird Nest Challenge

"Bird's Nest"   by  Rugged Lens  is licensed under  CC BY-SA 2.0  Nothing says "Spring" like birds making nex...